Saturday, March 31, 2007

Make Your Own Kind of Music - Coral Records

Make Your Own Kind of Music



1969 Coral CRL 757510 Stereo / CRL 57510 Mono

Side One
1. Early In The Morning
2. Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head (From The Picture "Butch Cassidy And The Sun Dance Kid")
3. Shangri-La
4. New Orleans Breakdown
5. Jean (From The 20th Century-Fox Film The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie)
6. Holly Holy

Side Two
1. Make Your Own Kind Of Music
2. Midnight Cowboy (From The United Artists Motion Picture "Midnight Cowboy")
3. Can't Take My Eyes Off You
4. Lady-O
5. Leaving On A Jet Plane


Only 4 clarinets, too commercial, not enough substance. I like the album cover...

Liner Notes:


Make Your Own Kind of Music
Pete Fountain

Arranged And Produced By Charles Bud Dant
Cover Photo: Mike Nagro
Wardrobe By Suzy Creamcheese, Las Vegas

My kind of music? I dig it all - if it's honest. Most of all, I'd rather play music with a good feeling of "time" (that's a beat!). You know, even a beautiful ballad like Can't Take My Eyes Off You or Lady-O by the remarkable Turtles has great time.

But I really enjoyed playing my own kind of music on the title tune, Mama Cass' Make Your Own Kind Of Music, Peter, Paul and Mary's Leaving On A Jet Plane (even though I hate to fly) and Vanity Fare's Early In The Morning. The beat on those three is really down home... New Orleans. And I can't overlook a great song like Shangri-La that my man, Eddie Miller, wraps his tenor around in a very special way.

I also dig the songs of Bacharach and David and their newest hit, Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head, is one that I wanted to include in this set, along with Neil Diamond's haunting Holly Holy and that sensational theme from a sensational movie, Midnight Cowboy. Also, Rod McKuen's endearing Jean from "The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie:' And there's an original tune that made me happy, New Orleans Breakdown, which is what my kind of music is all about.

You can thank Bud Dant for some of the best arrangements that could ever happen to any song - which I do, myself, whenever I record. You'd better believe he's tops!
So, friends, while you're making your own kind of music, I hope you enjoy mine.

From New Orleans with love,
Pete

No comments: