Saturday, November 3, 2007

Santo Pecora And His Dixie Land Jazz Band - Clef Records

Santo Pecora And His Dixie Land Jazz Band
featuring Pete Fountain




1950 Clef Records EP-169 Monoual


Side A:
1. My Lou'siana
2. March Of The Mardi Gras

Side B:
1. Mahogany Hall Stomp
2. Listen


Liner Notes:

Santo Pecora And His Dixie Land Jazz Band

45 Rpm Extended Play
Supervised By Norman Granz

Personnel:
George Girard trumpet
Santo Pecora trombone
Pete Fountain clarinet
Armand Hug piano
John Sinac bass
Santo Pecora drums

New Orleans, LA, June, 1950

Though Dixieland music is not quite my dish of tea, I admit that I went with the mass a few years back when Dixieland enjoyed quite a revival. However, I did resist, I hope, at least, the substitutes, the comedians, the imitators and the fakers of the real product. I went down to New Orleans, and there the man that impressed me the most of the later day Dixieland musicians (for this you might substitute New Orleans) was Santo Pecora, who was playing trombone with Sharkey Bonano's band on Bourbon Street. I made and released several sides with Santo Pecora, all of them featuring his tremendous, driving trombone.

This album is a collation of previously released single sides by Santo Pecora.

- Norman Granz

No comments: